Saturday, July 30, 2011

Wednesday I had my port test. I was really dreading it because of the horrible pain the last time they accessed it. I had to go to the Dr.'s office first and have them access it. They took me to the chemo side of the office which is a large room with at least 20 recliners and people sitting there getting their IV's. The man next to us started talking to us. It was his last visit. He had non-hodgkins lymphoma. He was very nice and knew it was our first time there. I guess after you go there so many times you know everyone. He got Beth's attention for us and told her I had to go over to the hospital for a dye study. We had been waiting and it was getting close to time to be at the hospital which I told him and that's why he graciously intervened. They just seemed so busy.
She came right over and took care of me.
I told her what had happened to me the last time it had been accessed and how painful it was when the lady flushed it. Beth accessed it and then said sorry for hurting me which I replied it hadn't hurt. Then a couple seconds later as she was doing something she asked if it hurt and I said no. She told me she flushed the port which I responded with, "I didn't feel anything". It was amazing. She said to ask whoever used it to ask them to flush it slowly. I just wanted to tell her she would be the only one I would allow to use it but that is unrealistic.
We went over to the hospital. I had the procedure done. They only found fibrous something growing on the vein which they said was normal, nothing that would be causing the pain I'm having. Then we went back to the Dr.'s office and had it de-accessed. I felt ok after unlike last time. Hopefully I won't have anymore problems. They are still going to have to figure out what's making the pain though.
And school starts in 3 weeks. Our beginning of school meeting is August 15th. My manager called yesterday to see how I am. I told him what the Dr. told me because it's what I know right now. She said I can go back to work. I'm trying to get an appointment with her next week to discuss this and make sure because I'm not so sure. We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment